|"A Quiet Water'd Land."|
Glencomeragh House, the Rosminian House of Prayer, is situated at the foot of the Comeragh Mountains, in a part of the hidden Ireland between Tipperary and Waterford. It is a place of spectacular natural beauty, bounded by mountains, woods and streams. The nearest village is Kilsheelan, which has won many Tidy Town awards. The historic towns of Carrick-on-Suir and Clonmel, to the east and west respectively, are within easy driving distance. Glencomeragh is now a House of Prayer, owned and run by members of the Rosminian Institute of Charity.
A House With A History
The main house, originally known as Glen Poer or Glen Lodge, was built in 1820 as the dower house of the Mandeville family who lived in a magnificent neo-Gothic structure in Kilsheelan, called Gurteen le Poer. Edmund le Poer, the first owner, was a Catholic who had the title of Count conferred on him by Pope Pius IX. Count de la Poer invited the Hospitaller Order of St. John of God to Glen Poer in 1877. Their mission was to care for poor infirm children of the area at a time of great poverty and want in Ireland. When the St. John of God Brothers left some two years later, the house was returned to the le Poer family. An extension was added to the house in 1910 and the panoramic gardens and lakes were laid out in 1912. The house was bought by Major and Mrs. Fuller in 1946 and they ran it as a hotel up to 1960 when it was purchased by the Rosminian Institute of Charity. It then enjoyed a new existence as a Scholasticate, or House of Studies for young men preparing for final religious profession or priesthood. In subsequent years it also served as a Novitiate for the Irish Province of the Institute. In 1977 the house was renovated and in the following year a new bungalow was built near the entrance gates to provide additional accommodation. A hall and other ancillary buildings were also added at this time.
The main house manages to combine the grace and elegance of a bye gone age with the comfort and facilities which one expects in the 21st century. It is decorated in a style which enhances the period features of the house, such as the carved staircase, the wood panelling, high ceilings and marble fireplaces. The recent addition of a large west-facing conservatory adds to the gracious ambience of the building.
Who Comes To Glencomeragh?
People of all religions and none come to Glencomeragh, on their own or as couples or in groups, large and small. They come to meditate, to go on retreat, to give thanks, to seek help in times of crisis or simply to take time out from their busy lives. Groups wishing to find a quiet place for seminars or business meetings come regularly to avail of the excellent conference facilities. The House also offers a varied programme of events which are organised throughout the year.